Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Lemon Sesame Crackers

I've already mentioned here how I love the Thrive books, and how the recipes have become staples in our house.  But I've also told you I don't follow directions very well... So here is a recipe for an easy cracker, that works as a snack, or something to have with a salad for some crunch.

The original recipe is called "Lemon Rooibos Cracker", but I didn't have all of the ingredients that it called for on hand. I'm all about sort of following the gist of the recipe, but using what I do have in the pantry.  A trip to the grocery store is just too far...and my kids would just complain, I'm sure you know how much fun that would be. 

Here is my version of the crackers based on what I had on hand, and the next time  it will probably change again. These crackers hold up very well in an open container in the fridge. when I'm craving a slightly salty snack with some crunch, it's easy to reach for one of these, and be satisfied. 

Original recipe:
(from Thrive: The Vegan Nutrition Guide to Optimal Performance in Sports and Life)

1/4 c almonds
1/4 c pecans
1/4 c sesame seeds
3 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1Tbs lemon zest
1 Tbs coconut oil
1 tsp ground rooibos
1/2 tsp agave nectar
Sea salt to taste

Makes 2 servings.


My version: (I literally jotted it down as I went along)...

Lemon Sesame Crackers
1 c walnuts
1 c sesame seeds
1 teabag of yerba mate
2 tsp Agave nectar
1 tsp chia seed
2 Tbs coconut oil
zest from 1 lemon
juice from 1 lemon

Makes almost 40 crackers.
*adding or omitting the yerba mate is not a deal breaker for this recipie

Pulse.  Press.  Bake.  Eat....

*To be more specific....

Step 1: scrape the zest from one lemon, and squeeze the juice of it into the food processor. 
 

Step 2: grab the Yerba mate, and cut open 1 tea bag. Empty into the food processor. {what the heck is Yerba Mate? I'll explain below}. 





Step 3: add the walnuts, sesame seeds, agave syrup, chia seeds and pulse until it forms a paste. 
 



Step 4: spread mixture on a cookie sheet, and press it down as flat as you can. I just used the heel of my hand {you could use a rolling pin}. Score the crackers with a pizza cutter before baking. 
 

Step 5: Bake at 300 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until the crackers look browned. I used my pink sea salt grinder to sprinkle a little salt over the top as soon as they came out of the oven.  I took these out at 18 minutes to be exact.



Enjoy! They have a nice hint of lemon, and taste great.  Store them in an open container in the fridge. I hope you give them a try.



 
*What is Yerba Mate? It's in more than a few recipes from the Thrive books, which is how I was introduced to it. It's actually a 'tea' from South America, which is made by steeping the leaves of the plant in hot, but not boiling water.  It contains a natural caffeine which varies in strength which is determined if it's a male or female plant. In this case, the female plants are a little less 'high strung' as it's the males with the higher caffeine content.
 
There are many benefits to yerba mate, some of which are high antioxidants, help in digestion, and a natural boost without the let-down usually associated with most 'caffeine fixes'.  Of course, as with anything there are risks to any long term love affair with anything herbal.  There is plenty to read on the topic. 
 
I added this to my crackers because I had it on hand, but you can use it or not without affecting the flavor of the crackers.  Read more about yerba mate here and here. 
 
 
 
Have a great day!

{Jenn}









No comments:

Post a Comment