Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Book Club~follow up

Since starting our book club in the beginning of the summer,  something interesting has happened. My Super-mom-enthusiasm that got them interested has waned, as I'm not really super woman at all....I try, but... 

I've been tired at night when the girls are finally ready to settle down and read {and I want to sleep} but their enthusiasm has gained momentum, since we've gotten into the story, and they are the ones driving me to keep on reading. I figure this ebb and flow will be necessary to make this work...I can't always be the one driving this train. 

My oldest went to a sleepover, and missed a night of hearing the story. I didn't think she'd even notice, but before I started reading the other night, she said, "wait you guys have to tell me what happened last night, I missed it!!".   Music to my ears. 

So I asked each of the girls what they think of book club, and here's what I got...

Me: What do you think of book club so far?

The Oldest: I like that you read it. I like using the flashlight to read. Why are you asking me questions?

The Middle: It's great I guess. I have no idea why. I like the flashlight part...can you stop asking me questions?

The Youngest: It's fun, I like when you read. I like when you talk and I think about the story that you do. I imagine that I am Harry Potter and I see the story in my eyes and my brain, like, its cool and it calms me down. 

Invigorating, ladies, really.  Thanks for your insight.  I'm just going to take it for what is is.  FUN.  And try my best to keep it that way.

Just last night, as I was reading to them with my eyes closing and was about to close the book for the night....they begged me to keep going
"Just a few more pages, Mom?  Please?!" 
How could I stop?  So I propped open my eyes, and kept reading.  After all, this is what I wanted, right?  That "intrinsic motivation to read" switch flipped to the "on" position.  It's on.  And tired or not, I'm thrilled :)

Read to your kids, even if all you want to do is sleep.  You're teaching them something they will keep with them for a lifetime.  And one night, when they're reading to their children, they will remember the nights you plowed through, and read to them.

Have a great day

{Jenn}

No comments:

Post a Comment