Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Centered

I love when science and spirituality match up.  It makes me happy, and lets me feel validated that my meditative time is valuable.  There are many studies that show the benefits of meditation on the brain, and over all well-being.  It's not just an ancient religious practice.  The benefits are real.

Over the past several years, I have volunteered in a religious education program in the summer.  My kids attend, and I have always taught the second grade class. During that first year, as I was going through the curriculum to get my plans done, I noticed that contemplative prayer and meditation was mentioned several times in the manual as a "note to the teacher", but it wasn't explored in depth {like I would've wanted it to be} in the kids part of the book. 

This kind of bothered me, as no matter what religion you are, or what you believe, the effects of meditation on the mind and body are amazing and measurable.  Check out this Harvard study where the results are rock solid.  The book based on a different study is one that you won't be able to put down...at least I couldn't.  It's explained in a very relaxed way and you don't need a degree in astrophysics to understand it.  

The lack of focus on meditative practice made me start trolling the Internet for resources on how to teach meditation to children.  I found this book, Journey to the Heart, and fell in love with it.  I have used it in my class ever since, and now the entire program uses it too.  They recommend that the meditation take 6 minutes.  But when you're in the 2nd grade class, that feels like eternity, so I start with one minute.  I mean, really, can you think of the last time your kids actually sat still and quiet for 6 minutes?!  I can't.  It can be done though...start with 1 minute, then add 30 seconds each time you try it.  It gets easier each time you do it. 

This book offers a god-centered meditation, but you can take the "religious" aspect out of it if its to be used in a public school type forum. I'm not saying teach religion in school, but spirituality is a fundamental need so why not give kids the toolbox full of strategies? Maybe that's another post...

Meditation offers kids something they actually need in their lives...they just don't know it yet.  I realize that my students may not decide to do this each day after my class ends this week, but I do hope down the road, when they hear the term meditation, or centering prayer, they remember this class and that teacher I used to have who did this with us. 

After my last summer-class meditation, I asked the children what they thought of it. Some kids said they liked it because it was quiet, some kids said it was okay, but one boy had a very specific response. One that I found to be really insightful. He said, "I didn't like it when we got quiet, I liked it better during class when there was noise, cause when the room got quiet the noise in my head got really loud and I didn't like that".
 
That was a really grown up observation. I explained that THAT was precisely what meditation allows you to experience. The noise in our heads is really loud, and the only way to quiet it is to sit in that uncomfortable quiet space and become an observer. Pretty big concept for kids. Sit in the quiet, and hear the noise in your head, and see it move through your mind like a TV episode.  Or like you've tuned into a radio station. Observe it, but don't feel like you have to interact with it. Have a seat and just watch. Listen. Don't fight the noise, just keep observing. Say that sacred word to yourself which is what YOU are directing. That is the point~YOU are not your thoughts running through your mind. YOU are the observer. I know, it's heavy for 2nd grade. But kids can handle it. 

Athletes do it before major events, successful professional people in business do it as well. As far as I'm concerned, meditation is a life skill that should be taught in school, and practiced everyday.
As someone who didn't learn meditation until adulthood, I see how it could've been a useful tool for me through the years, even through college when prepping for exams. My routine of all-nighters with mountain dew really didn't cut it. 

So try it for yourself, or try it with your kids.  Unplug them for 5 minutes.  When I started on the first day with my class they acted like 1 minute was an eternity...by day 8 they were silent for almost 10 minutes.  Not even fidgeting. 

Set the expectation, and your kids will rise up to meet you.

Promise.

Have a great day!

PS-I don't get any kick back from anywhere for you reading these books, just my own personal favorites...

{Jenn}

No comments:

Post a Comment