Saturday, March 16, 2013

Send-Off

I want to welcome my new readers from Russia and Thailand...seeing your countries light up on my blog dashboard is exciting {I know, doesn't take much, right?}.  Welcome.
Yesterday my dear friend Kim was laid to rest.  Everything was just right.  The sun was shining, birds were singing, and the family was surrounded by immense love.  The reception after her burial looked like a wedding reception, and Kim was beaming, I'm sure, over every little detail that her husband attended to.  While everyone sat, ate, and drank some wine, a beautiful slide show played of Kim throughout her life.  She clearly did so much living in her 45 years on earth.  Her smile bathed over us the entire afternoon~it was just the way she would've wanted it.

Her husband asked me to read a poem he was given at the reception, and I read it, and re-read it before going before the crowd.  I told myself to read with feeling, but not to "think" too much...just read.  No crying~this was to celebrate her life now.  The crying was done.

I almost made it...the last line got me {I really did try...}.  Taking a deep breath, I finished.  Some of you asked that I print it for you, so here you are....

You can shed tears that she is gone
Or you can smile because she lived
You can close your eyes and pray that she will come back
Or you can open your eyes and see all that she has left

Your heart can be empty because you can't see her
Or you can be full of the love that you shared
You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday

You can remember her, and only that she is gone
Or you can cherish her memory and let it live on
You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back

Or you can do what she would want~ smile, open your eyes, love, and go on.

So, whether you knew Kim or not...it's a lesson, isn't it?  We all have choices to make in our everyday lives.  Choose wisely.  Be present.  Listen for the birds.  Make your kids turn off the movie in the car, and look out the darn window.  Look around.  Open your eyes, and go on.

Have an amazing day~

{Jenn}

2 comments:

  1. That was beautiful. I am going to type it up and chafe the gender for a dear friend who buried her 48 year old husband Monday. She is full of faith and this speaks to her as well. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I'm glad this is giving you comfort, and I'm sorry about the loss of your friend. This is exactly why I wanted to share it. Prayers sent to you as well.
      :)
      Jenn

      Delete