Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Sweetest Gift

Over the past few years, when I un-pack Christmas decorations with my girls, one of them always asks about the dog in the Christmas box.  I have many ornaments from students that have always gone on our tree, but this dog has the best story by far.

I was co-teaching first grade at the time, and a little boy in the class had gone through a tragic event.  It was beyond heartbreaking.

Being as it was the week before Christmas, the students were all in a flurry, with many of them bringing in gifts for myself and the other teacher in the class.  I can remember seeing him out of the corner of my eye, as day after day kids lined up at my desk with their special presents.  He just watched as he unpacked his book bag.  

After the third day of non-stop present giving, he came up to my desk telling me he was getting me something too, but just forgot it.  I was pretty certain he wouldn't be bringing in anything, and I tried to explain that I didn't expect a thing.  My present was him trying his best everyday, and getting hugs from a happy first-grader, and that was more than enough.  

But it was really clear that it bothered him.

The next day, he unpacked his book bag and ran up to my desk with something in his hands.  He was smiling from ear to ear holding something wrapped in tin foil.  I unwrapped the ceramic dog and gave him a big hug.  I'm pretty sure he took it off of an end table in his house and wrapped it up himself, but it's the sweetest present I've ever gotten from a little one.  I asked if he was sure I could keep it, and he said yes, it was just for me.  Then he ran over to the other kids hanging up their coats, telling them how I loved his gift.  That little one had endured more than any grown up could handle, and just wanted to be like all the other kids. 

I can't help but think of that little one this time of year.  He is not so little anymore.


Have a Merry Christmas :)

{Jenn}





No comments:

Post a Comment