Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Signs

I needed balloons, and I was in a big hurry.  

My sisters baby shower was going to start in a few hours,  and we were hurrying to get there to set up for her big day.  I ran into the dollar store, and after seeing the huge line, I approached an employee in her teens, asking how I would go about getting balloons.  She tapped her ear and shook her head, indicating she couldn't hear.  So I signed, "no problem, I'm hearing but I know ASL".  Her eyes got big.  Then I asked her about the balloons, and she was easily able to help me.

She had the best smile on her face.  

As I finished paying for the balloons, I could see her glancing over at me from another aisle.  I signed "thank you for helping me today", and she signed back, "sure, happy to help you".  




You already know I was a special education teacher way back.  When I went to back to school for ASL {American Sign Language} at Delaware Technical and Community College, my intention was to become a freelance interpreter.  It was some of the most challenging course work I ever took {linguistics of sign language?  Wow.  No words....}.  But by the time I advanced through the program, there weren't enough students ready to move on to pay the teachers for the interpreting program, so it was cancelled.  I was pretty upset, but soon found out I was expecting our first daughter, and life changed a bit.

Now I can look back and be grateful for the experience of how in-depth that program was {taught by Deaf teachers~the D is capitalized on purpose..}, because it has clearly stuck with me over 11 years later...and when I am able to use sign, it's awesome.  

Our school district has been teaching ASL to students in middle and high schools, but I really wish it was in the elementary schools as a staple.  Why don't we emphasize languages more in the elementary level, when all the research about language learning revolves around children?  When my friend from Madrid calls me, and her 5 year old is fluent in English, it's pretty embarrassing that we are so "behind" in language learning.  Myself included.


It would lead to more people being able to communicate, and the girl working at the dollar store would have way more people to talk to at work.  When I started signing to her, she looked at me like she was seeing a unicorn in the store...  Could you imagine?  Being at work  8 hours a day, and no one could talk to you without playing a bad game of charades?  Or those people who thought if they TALKED LOUDER you could hear them?!  Every. Single.  Day.  Not really fair if you ask me.  

Since way back when I took classes, there are WAY more resources online to help you learn sign...check this out.  Even if it's just a few basic signs, it might make someones day {and yours} when you get to use it.

Have a great day!

{Jenn}

No comments:

Post a Comment