Thursday, May 30, 2013

Canine Spirit

Weather can play a part in having a succesful vacation, but I can honestly say, as long as we can get to OBX, I can deal with whatever Mother Nature has in store for us.  Just get me there.

After a few days of hot sun on the beach, the clouds rolled in and the rain came, but that didn't stop us from walking the boardwalk at the waterfront shops, which expands down the shoreline of the Sound, all the way down to our must-go-to-sweet-spot, Duck Donuts.  We stumbled upon the owners getting interviewed and photographed for Distinction Magazine, and the girls had their photos taken too, as they dug in to a dozen of the hottest, melt in your mouth, donuts we could order...  As their Daddy would say, it figures we go out for donuts, and the kids end up in a magazine....  It was an extra treat, for sure, and we will have to keep an eye out for the article, and see if the girls make the cut.


Augen

The boardwalk connects you to a quaint shopping area, and across the street are beautiful little boutiques called Scarborough Lane.  My husband took the girls and I peeked into a jewelry shop, by myself.  I quickly realized it may take awhile to find everyone again, as the shops wrap around two seperate areas, kind of rectangular shaped.  My oldest peeked her head out and waved to me from the one store I was worried about taking them in...Outer Barks.  Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful shop, with all kinds of special gifts for your dog, but I worried that the girls would get sad, missing Augen, who we lost in February.  I think now it was Augen who drew the girls into that store, becuase it was the most special stop of the day.


The kids had already made fast friends with Robin, the store owner, and told her all about Augen.  Turns out maybe Robin needed the visit from little girls who lost their big brother dog, because Robin lost one of her dogs earlier in the week.  Her other dog, Bogie, was lying in his dog bed in the shop.  Our youngest daughter was petting him so gently and said, "Mom, he is so sad, I can feel it in my body how sad he is.  He misses his brother.  But the other doggies spirit is still here mom.  Just like Augie's spirit came with us to Duck!".  By now, I was tearing up, Robin was tearing up, Peyton was on the verge of tears......until she spotted a greeting card they had on a turn-style rack with a weimaraner on the front in a birthday hat.  "Look, Mom!  It's Augen!".  
Robin packaged the card up, and gave it to her to take home to keep so she could remember her Augen.  It was really sweet.

Our oldest ended up finding a weimaraner ornament with angel wings, so you know we picked that right up as a keepsake.

I make sure I talk to our girls in spiritual ways, and how we are all connected.  How spirit never dies.  Never goes away.  Guides us.  

Peyton's first comment when we arrived in Duck was, "Hey mom, Augen's spirit came with us, I think he is already down at the beach!". 

Seeing how she was able to openly talk about spirit and feel the loss of the dog is confirmation to me that even when I wonder if my kids are listenening.....they are.  And because of that, they were able to share in the grief while comforting Robin and her dog Bogie at the same time.  That's pretty big for little kids, especially when coming from a six year old. 
It was even more beautiful to witness.

Turns out I was pretty grateful for the rain, which took us to the shops, which led us to The Outer Barks for a little shopping. 

It was the best stop of the day.


Have a great day!

{Jenn}


No comments:

Post a Comment