Saturday, April 20, 2013

Pride

Watching the scene in Boston play out last night was amazing.  A successful conclusion to a horrific week.  Seeing people come out of their homes to cheer for the law enforcement personnel as they left the area, was tear jerking, to say the least.  From all of the fear, came pride and gratitude that couldn't be contained.
Earlier, while the operation was still in full-swing, I couldn't help but think...are those guys hungry?  How are  they functioning if they haven't eaten? How many hours have they been out on this case?  When was the last time they slept?  I'm sure they were running on adrenaline, but I know how I feel about my own husband when he is out too long on a case.  I know I'm his wife, but worry like a mom too...can't help it.

And, what I know most of all...how were their wives/significant others watching this news coverage without losing their minds?  I know my husband would want to be first in the stack for SWAT, and I know how I worry.  Seeing it unfold in front of me on TV might be unbearable.  And with one officer's life already taken... I didn't want to imagine what else could happen. 

You see, as a spouse of a cop, you block it all out.  Every piece of it.  You get used to the uniform, the guns, the vests, the body armor.....but when they walk out that door, it all melts away~at least to me.  I tell myself he "goes somewhere" and comes back.  Thinking about the middle part is too difficult.  I would never sleep, or be able to function if I envisioned everything he does each day.  Forget about SWAT, I don't even want to think about that part.  So I know that this all playing out on TV has had to be extremely difficult for the wives and families of those involved, and we should all say a prayer for them to get through this.  

Because even if they don't realize they need the lift, they do.

A few years ago, I saw a police take-down in traffic, directly in front of me, as I drove my daughter home from preschool.  I sat there in my car, frantically trying to figure if I was seeing my own husband as the officers got into position around the car.  Once I realized it wasn't him, it dawned on me~oh my gosh, that's what he does everyday.  Every single day.  I did not like it.  It blew my reality up, and scared the heck out of me.  It's always in the back of my mind...

To every cops wife, spouse, partner who had to hold their breath this week, as you prayed for your loved ones safe return home, know that all of us in this extended law enforcement community worried and prayed along with you, and we will continue to do so as you deal with the aftermath of this week from hell. 

Thank you for yet again another reminder that our "good guys" always show up. 

Be safe.

Have a great day

{Jenn}
PS....all the photos came from this site below...

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/04/19/surreal-photos-of-swat-teams-combing-watertown/

No comments:

Post a Comment