Sunday, June 2, 2013

Summer Smoothie

Drinking a smoothie during the cold winter months is not appealing to me at all.  Now that it's warm, and I'm getting into summertime mode, that morning smoothie is top on my list. I don't like to eat much in the morning, and this fits the bill~it's packed with nutrition, gives a great energy boost, and keeps you feeling full. 

Note: If you are expecting this to be a smoothie from a chain store, or fast food place....it's NOT that.  This is actually healthy for you.  Promise.

I made my first breakfast of "smoothie-season" this morning {the ones in the evening with Bacardi don't count}.

You can tweak it to meet your own needs, making it sweeter in the beginning as you get used to drinking kale ;) I'm not giving exact amounts because when it comes to the blender, I'm an eye-ball kind of person, so I hope the pictures give you an idea of proportions.

Here are the main ingredients:

Jenn's Summer Smoothie
  • Kale~if you are worried that you won't use the big bag of kale from the grocery store, do what I do and freeze it.  The bag is under $3.00 and it looks like a pillow.  It will last you awhile unless you are cooking with it as well, or adding it to salads.  It's worth it for the fiber, vitamins, and protein.
  • Frozen blueberries~buy the big bag...if you are making smoothies and want your kids to drink them, they will think a purple drink is much more fun to drink than a green one.  That's how it works with my girls.
  • Frozen bananas~when making a smoothie with kale, at least one frozen banana is a must for me to have the consistency that makes it 'taste right'.  If you make it without the banana, it will be kind of watery, and the taste is just blah.  You will curse me drinking it without this binder ingredient....and we should be friends.
  • Water~I usually fill the blender up about half-way.  You can always add more later if it's too thick.
  • Hemp protein powder~I added about 1/4 c of hemp to my smoothie for the added protein, Omega-3 and Omega-6 Essential Fatty Acids, and energy boost.  It doesn't change the taste at all.
I realize my pictures aren't super-fancy, but I was making my breakfast...it was early...you get the idea.  I hope you give it a try~and let me know what you think!  There really are endless variations....enjoy!


Step 1: Add about 1/2 to 2/3 blender full of kale

Step 2: Add about 2 cups worth of blueberries

Step 3: Add 2 frozen bananas {freeze them, skinless, when they start to darken with spots so they are sweet} 


Step 4: Add about 1/2 blender full of water


Step 5: Add about 1/4c of Hemp protein powder, and blend until smooth


Drink it up!


You will get about 2-3 large glass servings of this smoothie from this recipe.  I give my kids small glasses of it, and as long as it's not green colored, and sweet enough, they will drink it.  Most of the time without my prodding..... 

My tip is to give them straws...that's the easiest way for them NOT to realize there are tiny specs of kale in there.....also my blender is the one I got for my wedding 13 years ago....it is slowly dying.  I'm sure if I splurged and got the Vita-mix of my dreams, I would have a different consistency here....hint, hint to my husband.....we will see if he reads this post..... :)


Have a great day, drink up, and as my Nana would say, "To your health!"

{Jenn}





No comments:

Post a Comment