Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Get in the Groove

So I really do have wonderful intentions, and when I said I would be doing the daily happiness exercises, I really meant it.  

Then I had some days of forgetting....and I was raised Catholic, so I felt guilty about it.  

Soon after,  I had a bomb drop on me.  And I wanted to go into a dark room, and disappear for a bit, just so I could take it all in.  I was really overwhelmed.  But I couldn't do that, because I have a life, a job, and kids who need stuff... so I had to go to Walmart {sigh}.  It honestly took mental effort, I really wanted to just press a pause button somewhere.

As I checked out with my groceries,  the man working the register so nicely said, "Have a nice day today", with a look in his eyes like he really meant it.  And I thought, wow, I needed that.  Then someone else looked at me and smiled a true genuine smile, and I almost felt like they both were placed there on purpose for me, so I would snap out of it.  As I walked out the doors, what seemed like a recording in my brain said, "Be grateful you have your children and husband, they have their health, and you have yours."  

I swear to God, I didn't consciously think those thoughts.  It kind of startled me.  I think what Shawn Achor talked about was real.  If we practice gratitude, it becomes ingrained in us.  

So do it.  If you forget here or there, it's OK, you're creating grooves in your brain that will remember for you, and when autopilot kicks in, you'll be happy it did. 

PS- I'm good now...

Have a great day!

{Jenn}


No comments:

Post a Comment