Monday, September 2, 2013

"Happy Accident" Bars

There are times in the morning when I don't feel like messing around with all the bags of ingredients...especially if I'm not in the mood for our apple cereal, or I'm feeling extremely lazy, and think that drinking coffee as breakfast is a good idea (it's not).

These bars happened by accident. It was a day when the apple cereal wasn't chopped up in the fridge already, and I figured I'd mix up a small bowl of ingredients for myself.  I had already mixed the dry ingredients, and added the milk when I realized we were out of apples (figures!). 
Instead of throwing it out (sorry that costs too much to pitch!), I put the mixture on a piece of foil and stuck it in the fridge. About an hour later I thought maybe I'd just add the blob to some yogurt and call it a day. But when I retrieved the blob from the fridge, I noticed it basically resembled a "bar" like consistency, since the dry ingredients absorbed the almond milk. So I mixed up more, and realized I had just figured out a way of making a portable version of our usual apple breakfast that required several bags of different ingredients. 

They hold up very well in the fridge in a container, but since they're kind of "wet" they will go bad (after maybe a week or so?), and they are NOT something you can take on a run (unless you don't mind a pocket full of mush). 

But if you're going on vacation, and don't want to travel with a ton of small bags of Bobs Red Mill products, this is a great alternative, and makes creating a healthy breakfast quick and easy. 
When I make these, I break one up in a mug with Greek yogurt, or add to some chopped fruit and slivered almonds. If I'm in a real hurry, I'll eat the bar on its own...but that's not the best tasting option, believe me...It does give you the nutrition you're looking for, though. 

Something tells me, on our journey to Wisconsin for my husbands upcoming Ironman competition, that these bars will be on the list of foods that travel with us.  God knows we'll be packing a ton...


 
"Happy Accident" Breakfast Bars
1c oats
1/2c ground flaxseed meal
1c shredded, unsweetened coconut 
1/2c hemp protein powder
1/4c sesame seeds
1/4c agave syrup
1c unsweetened almond milk

Mix together all ingredients (you can also put in whatever amount of "add-ins" you like, like chapped dates, mini choc chips, pulsed almonds). Flatten on piece of foil on cookie sheet or large plate.  Place in fridge, to set up for about an hour. 
Cut into bars as a "serving size". Makes about 36, 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" big. 
Mix them with....whatever!  Experiment with the add-ins, the recipe is what I make, but I'm sure they would be just fine to add, and still stick together :)

Enjoy❤

Have a great day!
 
{Jenn}
 
PS-I linked to Bob's Red Mill because I love the products, I'm not affiliated with them at all...just a favorite.


No comments:

Post a Comment